Do you say CAR-mull, or CARE-uh-mel? According to an online poll, 57%of us say it the second way, with three syllables. Also, 62% say peh-CAHN, not PEE-can. And 52% say MAN-aise, while 48% say MAY-oh-naise.
And there any words you pronounce differently than other people,? Maybe because of where you grew up, or how your parents said them?
Someone took a bunch of FOOD words people say differently, and did a poll to find out who's in the majority . . .
1. Do you say PEE-can . . . or peh-CAHN?
The Result: 62% say peh-CAHN.
2. Is it CAR-mull . . . or CARE-uh-mel?
The Result: 57% say it CARE-uh-mel.
3. MAN-aise . . . or MAY-oh-naise?
The Result: It's close, but 52% say MAN-aise.
4. ALL-mund . . . or AH-mund?
The Result: 79% DO pronounce the "L."
5. Milk . . . or MELK?
The Result: Only 8% say it like there's an "E" in there.
6. OR-ange . . . or AHR-ange?
The Result: 89% say OR-ange.
7. APP-ricot . . . or APE-ricot?
The Result: 64% say APP-ricot.
8. BAY-gle . . . or BAGGLE. (???)
The Obvious Result: 95% of people say BAY-gle. (But yes, "baggle" is a thing.)
Originally posted on August 1st, 2018